At the close of Shark Week 2018, we thought that Suzanne Rodolfich's Shark Week-themed posts were too good not to share on our blog! Enjoy:)
Shark Skin? No, Thanks! Best Essential Oils for Skin Care
Did you know that shark skin actually looks and feels like little interlocking teeth? Um, no thank you!
Young Living offers SO many options for your skin! Here are a just a few top skin oils:
Top Essential Oils for Skin
- Frankincense—helps create youthful appearance
- Tea Tree—cleanses skin
- Geranium—helps provide healthy, clear, glowing skin
- Cypress—smooths skin
- Copiaba—reduces redness
- Sandalwood—soothes, tightens, cleanses
- Blue Tansy—soothes, reduces redness, provides antioxidant
- Kunzea—provides antioxidant benefits (check out the pics of how the Kunzea plant affects a barbed wire fence)
DIY Skin Care Recipes
My Toner Recipe
- Witch Hazel
- Equal parts Frankincense (glow), Lavender (soothe), Lemon, (brighten), Copiaba
My Skin Cream Recipe
I originally created this as a diaper cream, but now I use it for all sorts of skin issues.
- Coconut oil
- Shea butter
- Equal parts Frankincense, Tea Tree, and Lavender
My Facial Serum Recipe
- 3 drops Frankincense
- 2 drops Myrrh,
- 1 drop Rose
Lots of options, right? I love that we can take care of our skin with non-toxic products that meet our skin’s unique needs!
Do you sleep like a shark? Best Oils for Sleep Support
So apparently there’s lots of controversy about how and if and when sharks sleep:
- They seem to be very active at night
- Most species have to remain in motion, so for years scientists thought sharks didn’t sleep
- However, now scientists think they enter periods of rest where they slow down, but their eyes are open, and it’s not a true deep sleep
Did I describe any of you with those facts? Maybe your kids?
I think many of us seek out essential oils because we need sleep support—that was my reason 5 years ago!
But just like there are lots of things we don’t know about sharks’ sleeping habits, there are so many variables with our own sleeping habits that finding an Essential Oils combo for sleep support can be trial and error.
Best Oils for Sleep Support
- Lavender: Most people start with Lavender—this doesn’t work for me or Jonna
- Frankincense: this is a fav in our house and a Lavender + Frankincense combo can be powerful
- Stress Away
- Peace and Calming
If you really want to sleep like the dead, then consider these heavy hitters:
And then there are a few that kids especially find calming:
- Gentle Baby
- Roman Chamomile
And finally, you may want to consider WHY you aren’t sleeping: Are you worried? Is your child needing a little extra security? Sometimes if we can support our emotions, we can sleep better.
So—what do WE use for sleep support in our house?
- Jonna (6)—Frankincense, Valor, or Palo Santo
- Zanna (5)—Frankincense, Valor, or Palo Santo
- Mila (3)—Palo Santo and White Angelica
- Vin (1)—Lavender or Peace and Calming
- Me—Valor or Rutavala (the kids would use the Rutavala, too, but that’s liquid gold and I’m a little stingy with it )
- The hubs—whatever I’m diffusing
And despite this lengthy post, there are still more options—I feel like I am leaving so many good ones out!
Maybe you can help me out—what are your family’s favorite oils for sleep support?
Skip the Blue Shark Blues: Essential Oils for Mood Support
This is the blue shark—according to my friends Google and Wikipedia, they are sort of sluggish and lethargic in their movements.
Top Oils for Mood Boosting
If you’re feeling the same way, maybe a little down, a little blue, here are some oily tips to try:
- A drop of Frankincense Vitality daily under the tongue (this is a my go-to mood lifter)
- Frankincense + Lemon in the diffuser
- A few drops of Joy in your hands and inhale
- Ylang Ylang + Orange in the diffuser
- Super B an energy and mood lifter all in one—do you know how much our body NEEDS B vitamins? They are vital! I made this a part of my daily routine after I had Vin.
- NingXia Red—daily, daily, daily! In addition to about a hundred other things, it supports healthy energy levels and regulates blood sugar (anybody else get HANGRY?)
Raise your hand if you had fun with Essential Oil SHARK WEEK! Share any skin, sleep or mood support tips below. Bonus points for Shark-themed ideas:)